Vinod Mehta, editor-in-chief of Outlook magazine, delivered the convocation address at the Indian Institute of Journalism & New Media (IIJNM) in Bangalore on 3 May 2008, and laid out the ground rules for the graduating Class of 2008.
1) Be a professional journalist: Have a sense of mission and be proud to say your a journo.
2) Don’t be an intellectual eunuch: don’t be biased but don’t be afraid of holding a point of view.
3) Learn to exercise control over your writing whether you are a print journalist or a television journalist.
4) Be a sceptic, not a cynic: Do not be afraid to question, but do not try to doubt everything.
5) Stay away from corruption: Refuse blandishments for money, for access, for sources.
6) Avoid politicians: Know them but don’t be friendly. Don’t become buddies with them.
7) Avoid PR and ad men: Meet them, intereact with them but don’t be at their beck and call.